At Resonate, we take our cue from the Bible in all matters of faith and practice. Church leadership isn't excluded from the test of scripture. In the Old Testament God called individual men and women to lead His people. This changed with the coming of Jesus Christ and the birth of His church. He called out twelve men to whom He entrusted His church, a plurality in leadership. Of the 18 times church leadership is mentioned after Christ’s ascension, 15 of them denote plurality in church leadership (the other three references are actually viewed in light of a plural context). From the birth of the church in Acts throughout its growth, the church leadership is placed in the hands of a group of overseers or elders. They are a group of men called out by God for four major purposes:
- To know the people of the church.
- To lead the church with grace and truth.
- To feed the church through Spirit-filled, Biblical teaching.
- To protect the church from false teaching.
- To be "lead" missionaries in their city.
The elders of Resonate Church desire to fulfill the same task given to the early church leaders.